Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 16/30

Day 16/30 - a song that makes you cry (or nearly)

piece of cake, seriously. there are a number of songs that makes me cry, but this one takes the win, because it never fails - every single time I hear the song, I break down in tears.


now, if you've been around here for a while, you know that I am an atheist, and therefore do not believe there are places called heaven and hell. but for this song, it doesn't matter what I believe in, because the lyrics just have a sense of power over me and I find myself relating to every aspect of the music. 

the song is the story of a man who remembers losing his grandmother, and then his loving wife. he believes that when it rains, it means that those people are looking over him and watching him live his life.

the song has even more emotional value to me now that I'm married. the third verse goes "my little girl is 23, I walk her down the aisle. it's a shame her mom can't be here now, to see her lovely smile." and low and behold, I was 23 years old when I got married, and my mom WASN'T there to see me smile. it's one of those soulful songs that just makes you think of those who have passed on and wonder what really happens when you die... at least that's what it does for me. 

anyway, if you'd like to listen to it (I wouldn't recommend doing so at work), here's a YouTube video of the song, and you can find the lyrics right here



30 Day Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment