Friday, May 13, 2011

queen elizabeth the first of england

queen elizabeth the first of england. Queen Elizabeth I of England
  • Queen Elizabeth I of England



  • I'mAMac
    Aug 29, 02:45 PM
    Exactly. There are more people. So if people today create 1/2 the pollution they did 20yrs ago but now there are twice as many people there is no change.

    We are doomed! :D
    You understand my point :D





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Queen Elizabeth I c1575
  • Queen Elizabeth I c1575



  • danielwsmithee
    Sep 12, 04:10 PM
    Seems to me this could be done without Apple having to open up Front Row. If Elgato added some sort of "export recording to iTunes Video Library" option (that also deletes the original file after export completes), you could have your stuff recording on your mac and ready to stream to iTV. I'd imagine you could also set up some sort of Smart Playlist in iTunes to show unwatched recordings that carries over to the iTV interface.It's already there they call it export to iPod.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. queen elizabeth 1 of england
  • queen elizabeth 1 of england



  • Glass!
    May 2, 10:49 AM
    Using Google Images as an attack vector has become very popular recently, it's a problem on Windows too (http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/gx2i8/google_images_becoming_a_hub_of_virus_activity/).

    They're just using the age-old "Your computer has a virus" scareware trick that has been around on Windows for years.

    Safari treating zips as safe is very broken, but the user still has to manually open the file and install it, and enter their credit card details... Are the people replying to the threads in the OP really that stupid?



    That's fine, but that's not what most fanboys espouse. "THERE ARE NO VIRUSES FOR OS X!!!" is not the same as "There is no malware for OS X," which confuses the uninformed user.

    There is malware for every platform -- from Windows to Haiku to Minix, therefore qualifying the difference between malware and viruses is neccessary. For example, this malware for most Unix platforms that will delete your homefolder, you just have to copy it into a text file, give it executable permissions and run it:

    #!/bin/sh
    rm -rf $HOME/

    It's malware, but it sure isn't a virus.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Queen Elizabeth the First of
  • Queen Elizabeth the First of



  • soLoredd
    Mar 18, 06:07 AM
    I don't think it is a bad thing for AT+T to prevent people from tethering to a laptop on an unlimited cell phone plan. Those people are just taking advantage of the system, and wasting bandwidth that the rest of us could use.


    As far as I'm concerned it is the same as going to an all you can eat restaurant and sharing your food between two people, while only paying for one. It isn't a serious crime, but it is stealing, and you know that if you get caught you will have to stop. I'm not going to feel bad for these people that are using 5+GB per month.

    Agreed.

    What I do find AT&T at fault for (and other carriers, for that matter) is this seperate tethering charge. I have unlimited data on my iPhone plan, and while I'm not crazy to think I should have that for tethering as well, I do think if I make the switch to a capped plan I should be able to use that for ALL data to my phone.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. And by Elizabeth I mean Queen
  • And by Elizabeth I mean Queen



  • appleguy123
    Apr 22, 09:11 PM
    someone hasn't posted in that thread for 5 months ... why would people all of a sudden want to revive it ... today we have this one.

    I would be willing to bet that if given time this thread will be a carbon copy of that one.
    That thread should be stickied, because I can't really think of any issue(relevant to this topic) we didn't cover in it.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. queen elizabeth the first
  • queen elizabeth the first



  • trrosen
    Mar 18, 09:16 AM
    Will never happen. The contract you signed with AT&T specifically says the required data plan cannot be tethered without an additional fee. You agreed not to do it, they have every right to punish those that break the contract.

    I'm thinking the only proper response to someone violating a contract is to end the contract. (that is cut off your service) I don't think AT&T has a legal standing to say OK you broke our contract so we're going to unilaterally enter you into a new contract.

    PS Something for all you "ITS MY DEVICE" people to remember. If you bought it on contract it's not your device until the contract has been fulfilled. Until then the sale is not complete and the Phone is AT&T's.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. queen elizabeth1 Virgin Queen
  • queen elizabeth1 Virgin Queen



  • ncv
    Apr 12, 10:15 PM
    Great news. Pity I just did the Final Cut Pro training course.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Queen Elizabeth I England
  • Queen Elizabeth I England



  • lom8104
    Sep 12, 04:12 PM
    So would "iTV" run OS X or just Front Row? What kind of processor? Old PowerPC's perhaps?





    queen elizabeth the first of england. painter to Queen Elizabeth
  • painter to Queen Elizabeth



  • AP_piano295
    Apr 23, 12:43 AM
    No one is concluding that there was a single "bang," and I'm certainly not conflating anything. "Bang" is a metaphor, and no one is relating it to the "origin of life." You're trying inflate your own ego and place your "scientific literacy" on display here by arguing a point that no one is questioning.

    It certainly seems that you are questioning the point.

    You raised the point that it is/was illogical for me to believe that the life and the universe appeared in a sudden "bang". And you claimed that such a belief could not be possibly based in logic :rolleyes:.

    Of course I never purported to believe any such thing, rather you simply implied that this is what I believe.

    In my original post I never claimed to understand or remotely fathom how the universe and life came to exist. But the fact that I do not know how our universe came to be has very little baring on this conversation.

    I have very little understanding of how the computer I am currently using ACTUALLY works. Yet work it does, it does not work through the grace of god but rather through marvels of modern engineering and achievements in scientific understanding.

    Your god of the gaps is simply a dark room waiting for someone to turn on the light.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Elizabeth was the first Tudor
  • Elizabeth was the first Tudor



  • Mr-Stabby
    Apr 12, 10:28 PM
    Does anyone know if the new FC will take AVCHD files natively as Premiere CS5 does?

    From what i gathered, if it doesn't, at the very least it transcodes them in the background as you've imported them, so you can work on them straight away.

    But it might actually work natively. It was strongly suggested a lot more files could be imported natively, DSLR was mentioned.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. queen elizabeth the first of
  • queen elizabeth the first of



  • javajedi
    Oct 10, 10:28 PM
    Originally posted by ddtlm
    javajedi:

    Yes, the JVM is the deciding factor here. If the Java takes that damn long on a G4 but goes fast on a P4, can can rest assured that the JVM Apple is distributing sucks compared to whatever one the x86 machines are using.

    There is no way in heck that the performance delta can be so large without a large difference in quality of JVM. G4's may be slower, but they are not as slow as those number indicate.

    Like I've been saying, when you start to see 5x leads by the PCs you need to start asking questions about the fairness of the benchmark. The G4 is better than 1/5 the speed. There are very few things were a P4 can get better performance per clock than a G4.

    BTW:
    Your G3 results as bizzarre as well, because of the contrast between them and the G4 results. Do not take it as proof one way or the other of the G3 or other IBM chips being superior to the G4. What we have here are raw numbers that defy a simple explanations. We should ask why these numbers are popping up, rather than running off with them as if they were uttered by a great voice in the sky or somthing.

    I should note that the 90 second and 72 second results I just recently posted are from my cocoa implementation, not java.. so the jvm is out of the picture now on the mac.



    Do not take it as proof one way or the other of the G3 or other IBM chips being superior to the G4.

    Don't worry, I don't make assumptions like that. And no, I don�t think this does defy simple explanations. I will say that, what we are starting to see here is evidence that the scalar units (integer and fpu) in the IBM 750FX (G3) are more efficient than those in the Motorola G4.

    If this is true, then my program hit it right on the nail. Also if this is true, it means there exist theoretical situations when using non altivec code that it would be faster on one of these newer G3 chips.


    Also what alex said about how tedious it was to make altivec code, I would agree there is some truth to this. When you vectorize code (either for the P4 or G4), if you don't watch your p's and q's you can actually slow *down* your code. Just because you use the nice and special vector registers on these G4 and Pentium 4 processors does not mean you gain 5 times the speed. You literally have to take your methods back to the drawing board. You will only get peak performance out of pipelined, fully vectorized code.

    None the less, scalar operations on both G3/G4 are miserable compared to x86. The JVM is no longer the deciding factor in the performance delta. It's out of the equation on the Mac since the benchmark is now a 100% native cocoa application with c code and no longer java. Mean while on the x86, the benchmark remains java.

    70-ish seconds navtive on a G3
    90-ish seconds on a native on a G4
    5.9-6-ish seconds running under JVM 1.4.1 on a P4





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Elizabeth remained firmly in
  • Elizabeth remained firmly in



  • myamid
    Sep 12, 06:21 PM
    I have seen this stated a few time - but not stated anywhere by apple.
    All I picked up form SJ was " we are pleased with the quality"




    queen elizabeth the first of england. Elizabeth as Queen of England,
  • Elizabeth as Queen of England,



  • blackpond
    May 2, 09:29 AM
    People use Safari? ... :confused:





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Anon, Elizabeth Coronation
  • Anon, Elizabeth Coronation



  • cambox
    Apr 13, 12:20 PM
    Well it was rumoured for some time and we all waited with baited breath but was Apple seriously going to end the pro app that started them off to stardom? Sadly yes they have. What genius decides to make a pro app accessible to the masses? We who use FCP have to make money from our business, so we need a little bit of smoke and mirrors to make our business needed, otherwise our clients will just get a 16 year old in off the street, download FCP (sorry imovie Pro or whatever they have decided to call it) and there you go we are out of work!

    I can see the business sense for Apple but they have now taken it all away from us who stayed by them for all these years.. Thanks Apple for the kick in the teeth. I am a ''Pro'' app user and have been for well over a decade and will be sad to move over to a new system but alas nothing lasts for ever.

    RIP FCP
    Born 2000 died 2011





    queen elizabeth the first of england. artwork: Englands First Queen
  • artwork: Englands First Queen



  • leekohler
    Apr 15, 10:35 AM
    Then, you know what, you should have left at that. I can accept and understand that no two people will always agree. Hell, these forums are flooded with arguments, every single day, and that's fine. Go ahead and argue your point of view against mine. I can take it.

    What I will NOT tolerate is disrespect. You had no business accusing me of self-hatred, since you know nothing of me. One does not need to hate himself/herself just because they disagree with certain things. Would it be fair to say you "hate" Apple because you don't think the new MBA's have a C2D processor? See my point?

    Anyway...I'm done. Obviously people have very different views and this site, for me, is about relaxing and taking my mind off work and everything else. I'm not going to sit here and argue and debate with any one of you.

    No- what you will not tolerate is difference of opinion. And now you've taken your ball and gone home. You can't even handle one bit of criticism without running away. Well, good luck in life, dude. You're gonna need it.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Queen Elizabeth 1 - Elizabeth
  • Queen Elizabeth 1 - Elizabeth



  • CompUser
    Aug 29, 11:28 AM
    You can't always win :rolleyes: :cool: :D

    CRT monitors also consume more power than LCDs.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Shane O#39;Neill and Queen
  • Shane O#39;Neill and Queen



  • Plymouthbreezer
    Apr 12, 10:15 PM
    For $299, sounds like a great deal. However, folks who have just dropped $999 on FCS are going to be angry! Wonder if there will be any sort of refund issued...

    I guess I'll stick with FCS for now, since Color is great, and I know the interface. DVD Studio Pro is also quite useful, and I'm unsure how this update will affect those products.





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Queen Elizabeth I of England
  • Queen Elizabeth I of England



  • ryme4reson
    Oct 10, 02:59 AM
    Well I tested my G4 933, and I have CHUD tools installed so I can disable my L2 and L3 cache. I also could not get the java to work so I compiled with C++, its the same stuff, but I used time() with gave me seconds, so * 1000 to get the adjusted scores

    Here are my scores

    933 256L2 2MBL3 79 seconds or 79000
    933 NO L2 or L3 124 seconds or 124000
    933 L2 only 79 seconds
    933 L3 only 79 seconds

    Judging by these scores I have to think that CHUD is not working and it only worked with completely disabled. as the diff of 45 seconds.

    And you can get CHUD from apple ftp.apple.com

    Needless to say it takes me 79 seconds when a PV is completing this in 5-10 seconds, something is wrong!! (the the G4)

    Lastly, I have not seen BACKTOTHEMAC telling us how great the G4 is lately, must be installing Win 2K under VPC with a stopwatch in 1 hand, an apple in the other, and a smile on his face...

    <EDIT> I am gonna try to run this on my brothers 333 celeron on a 66MHZ bus with 320 RAM, I know my 933 is not the fastest, but maybe it just found its competition. :) </EDIT>





    queen elizabeth the first of england. Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I
  • Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I



  • splintah
    Sep 26, 05:38 AM
    very interesting . . . . .. .


    so where are the new notebooks ?


    or mac mini/macbook with a lowest end ati or geforce would be cool too
    just not the shared graphics ram scheiss
    gives me tons tons of errors in 3d programs





    desdomg
    Mar 18, 04:57 PM
    The music industry owns the music - and they're free to price it however they want. If you think the price is too high, your only legal and moral response is to not buy it. Not liking the price is not justification for theft.

    Ah, but isn't that the heart of the matter - shouldn't you have the choice to be to go to another cheaper provider? At the moment we have expensive and free - no wonder P2P is such a success.





    Dr.Gargoyle
    Aug 30, 04:22 AM
    Most classic geophysicists & geologists do not believe man is causing global warming.
    Absolute nonsense.
    Global warming is a natural process and has happened many times over the lifespan of the earth. Sometimes it precedes an ice age sometimes it is ralated to internal changes within the earth core. It has occured in our past and it appears to be occuring now. The real reason for cooling and warming of the Earth are not well understood.
    You are here talking about the natural oscillation of temperature (see my previuos post) geophysists often talk about which leads to an occasional ice age now then. There is a natural CO2 variation in the atmosphere which have been studied over extremely long periods by studying ice core samples from e.g. Greenland.
    Every single well-founded theoretical model over natural CO2 variation model predicts we are outside the natural variation.
    That is a fact.
    We also know that CO2 is very potent greenhouse effect.
    Thus we also know that the earth is getting warmer due to the increased CO2 level.
    The increased CO2 level coincides with the industrilization when man began to burn fossile fuel in a historically unprecedented manner.
    Mankind is causing the increased CO2 level. CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
    This can of course not the explain the natural variation of temperature, but the fact remains our activities here in earth is causing an increased temperature.
    Environmental scientists agree that man is causing global warming. All of their theories are based on models.
    All scientific models are just theoretical models and can not be prove themselves. (see G&#246;del 1931)
    But these models are designed trying to prove that man's production of greenhouse gas is the cause and they are way too simplified. We do not have enough information on all of the critical factors affecting climate change to build proper models.
    In consequense of your argument and G&#246;del, it follows that we never can say anything about science. This is the same argument tobacco lobbyists have been using in defence of cigarettes.
    Reality may be somewhere in between. However global warming has taken place on Venus and is currently taking place on Mars. Man obviously did not cause thes activities and it may or may not be related to the Earth's current episode of warming.
    Again, you are talking about natural variations. But again, not a single theretical model predicts the current CO2 level to be natural variation.
    I am not arguing with the idea of reducing greenhouse gas emissions if we can practically. Why contribute to a problem. I just don't think that we can effect climate change on a global scale and if the Earth choses to warm for whatever reason we will not be able to stop it.
    No one is claiming to have the final model explaining the temperature on earth. Nevertheless, the fact remains, we are outside the natural CO2 level. CO2 is a powerful greenhouse gas. There is a significant lag between the level of CO2 and the temperature on earth. Hence, if we don't do something now it might be late tomorrow. I wrote might, because, as you said, noone knows for sure. But are we really interested in playing dice with our own existence?

    Sidenote: In science, the name of the game is getting publications. The sorry fact is that you don't get publications by singing with the choir. Since this debate is considered both important and urgent, it is easier to get a not-so well-founded-model published right now. I have seen crazy ideas published explaining the incrased temperature on earth as cow flatulence and rotting trees at bottoms of lakes (methane gas is also a potent greenhouse gas)
    These publications makes it unfortunately even harder to sort out the real facts about this issue which very well might be the most important issue mankind has been faced with here on earth.





    Project
    Sep 20, 01:55 AM
    I hate to be the first to post a negative but here it is. I don't think this will be overly expensive, but I also think we will be underwhelmed with it's features. Wireless is not that important to me. There are many wires back there already. It sounds like it will not have HDMI or TiVo features, and it will play movies out of iTunes, which screams to me that it will only play .mp4 and .m4v files much like my 5G iPod. If it cannot browse my my mac or firedrive, cannot stream from them, cannot play .avi, .wmw, .rm or VCD, then it will not replace my 4 year old xbox. Which itself has a 120Gig drive and a remote. Unless we are all sorely mistaken about what iTV will end up being, and it ends up adding these features (as someone above me noted, hoping Apple would read this forum) I will wait. Honestly, I am far more excited over the prospect of the MacBook Pros hopefully switching to Core 2 Duos before year end. Then I will have a much more powerful machine slung to my firedrive, router, xbox and tv. :)

    Its Front Row. Which can play whatever Quicktime can play. Which means it can play avi, wmv etc. Just install the codecs.





    javajedi
    Oct 8, 05:51 PM
    Mac are the fastest in things like MP3 encoding, MPEG4/DIVX encoding ...[/B][/QUOTE]

    1) DiVX performance on the mac absolutely blows.

    2) After I read your little post I ran a simple benchmark comparing my $3500 top of the line PowerBook:


    The P4 ripped and encoded a 6:20 song @ 128kbit/s in a total of 12 seconds. The same process (same song) @ 128kbit/s in iTunes took 47 seconds.

    What does that say?





    ghostlyorb
    Mar 18, 07:53 AM
    I hope not =/ this would suck. Good thing I BARELY ever use MyWi... but can they make me switch to a tethering plan? Not without my authorization.. hah!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment