Wednesday, May 11, 2011

i love you heart

i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_1%
  • %IMG_DESC_1%



  • PeterQVenkman
    Apr 12, 11:28 AM
    There are only minor annoyances and differences. Chances are you don't sit down and use the OS for 8 hours, you use other programs. While those are active, your OS will disappear.

    I never like the functionality of the green button at the top of mac windows. It's almost useless and inconsistent and best.

    In adobe products, I tended to lose palettes off the edge of the screen more often on the mac with no way to reach them (have to reset a workspace to get it back). That's probably due to adobe being idiotic, though.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_2%
  • %IMG_DESC_2%



  • Drewnrupe
    Sep 21, 10:43 AM
    I havent gone through and taken numbers but it appears that a large number of the people demanding that this device should provide DVR functionalty already have a Tivo - how many posts decrying the lack of DVR end up " I'll keep my Tivo " ?

    Isnt that the point - you have a Tivo - you have made the decision to keep your recorded TV media in its traditional place - the living room / den.

    The iTV concept starts from the premis that this is an outdated concept.
    In these days of multiple TV households , viewing on computer screens and ipods it only makes sense to centralize your media. This way we can say good bye to the "3 receiver satalite deals" and "sycronized Tivos" that result in multiple boxes in every room.

    Once you get past the concept that your TV media source should originate in the place where you historically viewed TV all the pieces fall into place.

    Before all this iTV talk came about I had already put an airport in the bedroom to listen to internet radio via airTunes. When considering Tivo i discovered that lifetime licenses were not an option any more and did not want to take on another "small monthly fee". I now have an EyeTv 200 linked to my Mac in the office and plug an eyehome into the airport express sitting in the bedroom - it works great for me and was selected as a direct alternative to Tivo - it just seemed right to have this located by the computer and hot add more electronics to the bedroom.

    Yes there are limitations - the greatest at the moment being that i cannot use the eyehome to watch iTunes pyrchased Movies ( hence the need for the iTV/Teleport).
    Yes I cannot schedule recording from the Tv , but I can from the office which is usually where I am when i think to record something, and also if I am out of the house i can schedule recording via the internet which is great.

    Digital channels are missing but generally the channels up above the 100 mark are not interesting to me and HD would be nice for the few programs I watch that provide it, but these are limitations of the solution that I am using - NOT THE CONCEPT.

    The computer provides the central storage point for your media. It gets to the TV via iTV or some equivalent Distribution system. The media itself can come from your DVDs , a DVR linked to the computer, downloaded from the internet, or your old Betamax plugged into an encoder digitizing to the computer.
    If Eyetv doesnt cut it as your DVR, then there can and I am sure will be other options - hey even Tivo - but again i hold that it should be part of the central media storage , not sitting under the TV - or worse still under several Tvs.

    For as long as we continue to try and combine these functions of media source, storage and replay into single boxes we will always have duplicattion of effort and boxes.

    People that wtill think they need ANOTHER computer, or Another disk drive or another dvd player next to their TV and that iTV should include all this are just holding on to an historical concept or an entertainment center havign to be centered int the living room.

    Where you watch any of this media there should only be a screen , speakers , and as little else as possible - iTV ( or for now eyehome) - is pretty little !!!

    I think this realy is the missing link that makes a computer-centric household media solution viable and appealing to the majority of even single computer households. I certainly would not have purchased an eyeTv if eyeHome didnt exist , and this is the same reason I will not purchase a movie until either eyehome can show it on my TV or iTV arrives to do the same.


    Drew





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_3%
  • %IMG_DESC_3%



  • dumb terminal
    May 6, 02:42 AM
    I challenge you to walk down the west side, anywhere... but take 9th avenue from say... the 57th St to the mid 30's. Just get in a cab. Make a phone call in regular traffic. I'd be willing to wager that at least 75% of the time you drop a call, once, if not twice during that trip. It happens to me nearly every day.

    Heck, I work in an office in the Flatiron District, and on my work iPhone, it is literally an act of god if your call lasts longer than two minutes. I get slightly better times at home in Brooklyn (Prospect Heights), but I'm averaging about 5-6 dropped calls during the day. It's frustrating (and embarrassing at the same time) when I lose a call with a client, and after calling them back, they ask "Are you on AT&T?" And not to mention the absolutely atrocious data speeds.

    Strangely, my (personal) Verizon Blackberry has never had a problem anywhere in NYC. Hmm :rolleyes:





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_4%
  • %IMG_DESC_4%



  • ddtlm
    Oct 12, 06:56 PM
    nixd2001:

    The flags don't do anything to my x86 results either. This loop is just hard to optimize. I did manual unrolling, replaced mults with adds (which we can actually do safely since the float values in the loop controlls are not factions), and even replaced one of the loop counters with an int in conjuntion with the other two above (in such a way that I needed no typecaseing)... and the resukts inproved maybe 5% on the Mac and none on the PC.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_5%
  • %IMG_DESC_5%



  • greenstork
    Sep 20, 05:53 PM
    its more than just Airport Express for Video, its a TV tunes via the internet and the home network.

    Media distribution will be reinvented and specifically tailored to the iTV and its internet capability's. WebTV streamed to the iTV, podcasts will get better quality because its more then the iPod now. I think the preview that Steve gave us was necessary to get content with the launch of the product and maybe even hardware solutions that work with iTV.

    Maybe Apple is negotiating with the digital TV providers to offer iTV as an option to there customers, bigger HD and protected content can make this work.

    Digital TV providers have absolutely no incentive to use an Apple branded box. They make a lot of revenue on rental of their own set-top boxes that have the ability to play their pay-per-view content. Apple is the competition and they still hold all of the cards (TV content monopoly).





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_6%
  • %IMG_DESC_6%



  • Silentwave
    Jul 11, 11:30 PM
    One thing i was just thinking... with some laptop vendors considering Conroe due to it being pretty damn efficient, how about this one:

    MacBook - Merom - optimized for LONG battery life
    MacBook Pro - Conroe - optimized to be a true mobile professional workstation

    unlikely. MBPs already have heating issues, and Yonah core duo standard voltage is designed with a TDP of up to 31W. Merom has up to 35W.
    Conroe and Allendale both are TDP 65W throughout the range except teh Conroe extremes which are TDP of 80W. No info yet on the Low Votlage or Ultra Low Voltage Meroms, but if any high end processor beyond merom were to get into the MBPs, which i doubt due to the need for a different socket, i'd actually call it as Woodcrest!

    The dual core Xeon 5148 Low Voltage, clocking at 2.33GHz with 4MB L2 cache and 1333MT/S FSB has a TDP of 40W- only 5W higher than the Meroms.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_7%
  • %IMG_DESC_7%



  • Kebabselector
    Mar 18, 08:02 AM
    I get: 2000 any network-any time minutes, 5000 same network minutes, 5000 any network messages, UNLIMITED internet, that's right, no capping, no "fair usage policies", UNLIMITED! AAAAND I can tether with up to 5 devices,

    True, but once you move away from a major city 3's network is rather crap.

    To be fair it's a good deal, but good luck leaving 3 when you decide to move on. Their call centres are awful to deal with.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_8%
  • %IMG_DESC_8%



  • leomac08
    Mar 11, 01:05 AM
    I have been seeing the breaking news, I saw a tsunami!:(

    It was originally 7.9 then upgraded to 8.8, then 8.9:eek:

    It's so devastating! Cars couldn't escape!:eek:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_9%
  • %IMG_DESC_9%



  • PeterQVenkman
    Apr 12, 11:28 AM
    There are only minor annoyances and differences. Chances are you don't sit down and use the OS for 8 hours, you use other programs. While those are active, your OS will disappear.

    I never like the functionality of the green button at the top of mac windows. It's almost useless and inconsistent and best.

    In adobe products, I tended to lose palettes off the edge of the screen more often on the mac with no way to reach them (have to reset a workspace to get it back). That's probably due to adobe being idiotic, though.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_10%
  • %IMG_DESC_10%



  • SimD
    Apr 12, 11:10 PM
    I remember a time when people discussed interesting news on MacRumors. :(





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_11%
  • %IMG_DESC_11%



  • GGJstudios
    May 4, 02:59 PM
    You're operating based on assumptions that because it hasn't happened in a meaningful way that it cannot happen and I think that is a false sense of security paramount to emotional fanaticism.
    Please quote when I have ever indicated that Macs cannot or will not get malware or viruses. Before you falsely accuse me of having such assumptions, take the time to read the Mac Virus/Malware Info (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9400648&postcount=4) I've posted in so many of these threads.
    Since no OS, including Mac OS X, is immune to malware threats, this situation could change at any time, but if a new virus is discovered, the news media, forums, blogs, etc. will be instantly buzzing with the news.
    Get your facts right before you make assumptions about me.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_12%
  • %IMG_DESC_12%



  • 1town
    Apr 28, 07:58 AM
    Horrible headline.

    You do not "slip" upwards.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_13%
  • %IMG_DESC_13%



  • spicyapple
    Oct 25, 10:29 PM
    seems unlikely that Clovertown would replace the current Mac Pros... just add another high end config.
    It would be the first for Apple. :cool:





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_14%
  • %IMG_DESC_14%



  • AppliedVisual
    Oct 14, 02:55 AM
    I am so glad you tried and succeeded in getting that discount. That's great. Hope you didn't suffer too much brain damage ripping on that sales rep. Wish I could have heard that. lol. :p

    Actually, I just played it pretty cool. I just told him that I overlooked the coupon and asked if they could apply it, since it would save me about $100. He started with the "I'm sorry, sir. But we can't apply coupons to prior purchases..." So I just went into the "OK, no problem then, I would like to cancel my current order and refuse shipment on it" Which they allow in their return policy. "...And I would like to place a new order for the 30" using this coupon." He kinda paused and made some sort of groaning noise and instinctually started to tell me I couldn't do that. But then he put me on hold for about two minutes, came back and agreed to apply the coupon. I think I realized that he couldn't stop me from doing the cancel and re-order routine and it was a waste of time for both of us and didn't help them out any. He probably needed a manager approval to apply the coupon or something.

    Want to have a contest to see who can have their 8-Core Mac Pro delivered first? I will have to drive to Santa Clara 35 miles to buy an Apple gift card so I can complete my online purchase so you might be able to beat me.

    Like I posted in the other thread, sure. :) I don't know how it will play out on this end either. I'm ready to buy today, but I'm also starting a fairly large project in about 2 weeks or so. Depending on that and budget restrictions I may buy once the 8-core systems arrive or I may wait. ...Not that I want to wait.

    Please share with us what config you will buy and why. I plan on buying only the 1GB model and buying my RAM from Omni Optival - only 2 more GB. So far it looks like my multi-threaded apps do not use much ram at all while using up to 4 cores EACH. So they're RAM stingy and Core HOGS. I am not getting this for Photoshop but for compressing video in 2 to 4 simultaneous applications.

    My 3D rendering is all over the place in terms of RAM requirements. However it tends to top out at about 2 to 4 GB for the most demanding scenes. Primarily I use Lightwave3D and a companion render plug-in called FPrime to do most of my rendering. FPrime is still limited to dual-threads or two cores under practicality and also is still a 32bit app. But on my quad-cores I run three instances of it at once and it seems to work out well. Two instances of it doesn't use all my RAM and seems to leave a CPU or two idle about 30% of the time. Hmmmm... As for Lightwave, it's also still a 32bit app with 32bit render node software that is very poorly multithreaded with most plug-ins for the renderer being single-threaded. So I tend to set up dedicated render nodes for each CPU core and dedicate 1GB to each. Works fairly well... I haven't found a real solid way to actually set CPU affinity for individual applications in OSX or at least not automatically when loading up the apps. I wrote a small utility on the PC that works in every version of Windows from NT4 up to Vista that assigns any combination of affinity to an app when launching it. I let people download it for free starting a couple years ago... Dumb move, it's been downloaded over 100,000 times. Should've charged $1.00 per download seeing how i write the thing in 10 minutes and it has a bug in the command line parser that I've never fixed.

    Anyway, to answer the question, I'm planning to buy the 2.66GHz model - possibly the 2.33GHz depending on the price difference. If it looks like what you have figured, then I think the 2.66GHz will be worth it for me. I will buy the base RAM configuration and replace it with aftermarket RAM from whoever looks to have the best price/quality on their modules when the time comes. I'll get the x1900xt video card unless they offer something better in about the same price range. Bluetooth module, fiber channel card and I will upgrade the included HDD to the 500GB model. I'll probably pick up a second 500GB on my own and set the two up in a RAID-0 stripe to install the system on. It will connect to my Dell 30" (soon to be dual 30" hahaha) displays via the Gefen switchers. That way I can still switch between my Quad and my other PC and my MBP if I want to plug it in.

    Oh, I'm planning on putting the included RAM on ebay since it will run at slower speed most likely. The 512MB FB-DIMMs don't run at the full bandwidth due to how the buffering works only 1GB and 2GB modules do. I plan to install 8GB RAM via 4x2GB modules.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_15%
  • %IMG_DESC_15%



  • Peterkro
    Mar 13, 08:55 PM
    Superb. Replace one fuel reliance on the Middle East with another. Genius idea.

    I think you confuse cooperation with exploitation by paying those in the Sahara (which is Africa by the way) a fair price for their resource it's a win win situation,applying 19th century ideas to a 21st century problem isn't going to work.It would raise living standards in Saharan Africa to European levels very quickly.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_16%
  • %IMG_DESC_16%



  • GGJstudios
    Apr 13, 03:16 PM
    I'm sure this has been mentioned.

    Connecting other hard drives. I'm only able to read from most (windows) drives.
    FAT32 (File Allocation Table)





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_17%
  • %IMG_DESC_17%



  • theBB
    Sep 12, 04:52 PM
    I don't want to watch movies on my computer, so this sounds like a great product. I assume I can hook a USB drive with movies or music and download iTunes products directly to that same drive without a need for a computer. If I hook iTV to ethernet, maybe that drive can even become a file server of some sort. I can justify the cost of iTV if I can use it as a music streaming device, print server and file server. Let's see how many of these features will actually be there. :)

    However, the price point for movies is wrong for me. I started using Netflix instead of going to Blockbuster, because of price and wider selection. Apple's offer is more than double the price for a movie, even without the cost of iTV unless I watch them twice or more. Apple's library is bound to be smaller for a long time to come as well. I guess instant gratification is the only saving grace. Well, considering I've never bought a TV show or music video, maybe I am not in the target audience anyways.





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_18%
  • %IMG_DESC_18%



  • Funkymonk
    Apr 20, 11:47 PM
    Ask yourself what you do with your phone.

    Not the occasional "I've got to reprogram my companies IT network on the fly" (yeah right), but what you really do day in and day out. Think of the ease of getting apps that you need when you need and think of them, and think of the stability of those apps.

    Now think of your parents and what they do with their phone. What they really need, and how many times they call you with tech questions.

    Apple has thought these issues through pretty hard. Has Google with Android? Has Microsoft with WM7?

    For the advanced techie 0.05% of the population (the kind of guys who post on this board), it probably doesn't make a difference, and the ability to customize and probe the system may be more important.

    By focusing on controlling and optimizing the user experience of the individual for the average person over focusing on "spec wars," Apple is cleaning their competitor's clocks. They will continue to do so, since this is a corporate ethos of Apple from the very beginning.

    MS was great for the era of the centralized IT professional, which is now ending, as is MS dominance. Google is the world's greatest information aggregator, for which they will reap trillions into the future.

    Apple, however, will continue to dominate as it gets better and better at Steve Jobs 30 year old vision of optimizing the user experience of computing to the maximum extent.

    Nokia, Google, Blackberry (yes, screw you, arrogant Basille) etc should just throw in the towel at this point. They ain't catching up, and resistance is futile.

    So an Apple monopoly would be good?





    i love you heart. %IMG_DESC_19%
  • %IMG_DESC_19%



  • balamw
    Apr 6, 12:06 PM
    Don't help evil screw Joe.

    If Joe has already gotten past the FUD from the vast majority of Windows oriented sources to come here, and seriously consider a Mac, this won't dissuade him as there is plenty of positive in the thread.

    There's plenty of FUD out there. Macs are only good for dummies (It's Unix under the hood, plenty of serious power there), Macs are underspecced and overpriced (Not really by the time you compare apples to apples), Macs can't do X or Y (Especially since they run Windows they can do anything a Windows box can), ... By the time you are seriously considering a Mac you've got to be beyond that.

    B





    Multimedia
    Oct 28, 04:58 PM
    Maybe Apple will replace the 2.0 and 2.6 models with the 1 new quad-core Clovertown. They are probably less expensive for 1 than 2 Woodcrests. This would allow Apple to drop the entry level pricing and raise the bar so to speak.

    Standard configuration:
    One 2.66GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" processor
    2GB memory (4 x 512MB) 667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
    16x double-layer SuperDrive
    $2,499

    Configurations — Low to High
    - One 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" processor (subtract $299)
    - Standard configuration
    - Two 3.0GHz Dual-core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors (add $799)
    - Two 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" processors (add $1,399)

    What do you think?Not likely as all four in one would have to share one FSB instead of two in two each having their own FSB. While the 8-core owners will have to live with this limitation, I doubt the 4-core buyers would want theirs running that way. That would make the older 4-core Mac Pros run faster than the new ones. Not progress.

    We are now less than four weeks away from Black Friday. So it's all very exciting. I imagine Apple will be able to add this choice the same day Intel makes release official. So watching for Intel's release day is key. I believe I read some post that said it would be mid November. Anyone know exactly?





    KnightWRX
    May 2, 06:18 PM
    Here is a list of privilege escalation (UAC bypass) vulnerabilities just related to Stuxnet (win32k.sys) in Windows in 2011:

    Vulnerabilities are found in everything. It's not like sudo, RBAC or any other Unix scheme that's similar to Windows' UAC/RunAs has been vulnerability free all these years. This is besides the point that UAC is not somehow inferior. It's just an implementation of limited privilege escalation, same as you find on Unix systems. "Unix security" is not being any better here.

    Provide an example of malware that only includes user level access being used in the wild as per your description that can not be prevented with user knowledge?

    Have I claimed such a beasts exists ? No. Why should I then be made to provide an example of it ?





    blackburn
    Apr 9, 04:29 PM
    Real gamers won't use apple gear (for gaming at least). I don't really like the online game craze. You can't borrow games from friends or even trade them (yeah more profit for the industry).

    Since my game pc died I've bought an psp to play a few games once in a while, and not an ipod touch since it doesn't have any friggin' buttons in it. And macs just suck too much at gaming (looking at toasty imacs), in here the only thing that keeps kids wanting an iDevice it's because it's cool and having an apple thing means that your either an hipster or an rich (or broke with lots of debts).

    Long live the moments of the game boy, hell I still play some game boy games in my psp with an emulator:D





    Multimedia
    Nov 3, 11:32 AM
    Anyone hear of Apple going the opposite direction with the Xeon.
    i.e. how about a single dual-core?To be more clear...
    Mac Pro with 1 dualcore Xeon?

    A whole line of Mac Pro's then
    2 cores
    4 cores
    8 coresSingle Dual Core is out of the question. We're way past wanting-needing less than 4-cores. Xeon are made to be used in pairs. What you probably mean is discussed above - a single 4-core Kentsfield processor (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3014347&postcount=239) in a Conroe motherboard. Some of us hope that will be a sub $2k offering next year.

    More like:
    4 cores 2006
    8 cores 2007
    16 cores 2008
    32 cores 2009
    64 cores 2010





    firestarter
    Mar 14, 06:51 PM
    As someone already mentioned, mining uranium isn't "green". Dealing with radioactive waste isn't "green". Releasing heated water back into the environment isn't "green".

    Fission itself may not produce greenhouse gases, but calling nuclear power "green" seems like quite a stretch.

    (I have to correct my quote (http://www.ecolo.org/media/articles/articles.in.english/love-indep-24-05-04.htm)... he described Nuclear as the only Green solution, not the only green choice - but the meaning is equivalent)

    To answer you citizenzen:

    1/ Perhaps you should take your complaint up with James Lovelock. I'm quoting him - I don't recall calling Nuclear energy 'Green'.
    2/ Your English comprehension could be better. Calling Nuclear 'The only Green Solution' (or Choice) is NOT calling it Green. The opinion piece merely points out that hydrocarbon burning is LESS Green. See the difference?



    No comments:

    Post a Comment